Tuesday, April 26, 2011

4. Baseball

I've decided to take a break from the serious family posts and skip down on my list of 'The 50 Things I Love Most' to something that is almost as near and dear to my heart as the most important people in my life...

BASEBALL!

Since the season has started and that is pretty much how I spend all of my free time, I couldn't resist posting this one any longer. Don't worry remaining family members, I'll be writing about you soon enough! :)

Baseball. Texas Rangers. Josh, Ian, Michael, David, CJ, Elvis, Nellie, Mitch, Chris. My Boys of Summer.



Some might say that this game is boring, too slow, not action packed enough for them. I would argue that there is something magical about baseball. Young boys awaiting a foul ball or home run to be hit directly into the glove they refuse to take off their hand for 9 innings. Dads explaining the game to their son or daughter as they ask question after question. Squeeze plays. Defensive dives and catches. Home runs. Triples. Doubles. Singles. Strikeouts. Stolen bases. Home run robbing catches. Claws. Antlers. Dot Race (Go Blue!). Cheering. Booing. Singing Deep in the Heart of Texas. Fireworks. Being with your summer "family" in the most beautiful place in the world. Magical.

For those of you who still aren't convinced, here are a few clips from some of my favorite baseball movies...

The Sandlot


A League of Their Own


For Love of the Game


The Natural


Field of Dreams


And some quotes that I've come across and love...

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball.  I'll tell you what I do.  I stare out the window and wait for spring. --Rogers Hornsby

Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. --Ted Williams

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games.  No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games.  It's the other third that makes the difference. --Tommy Lasorda

During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times.  I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times.  You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season.  That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. --Mickey Mantle

Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way.  We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick. --Thomas Boswell

And finally some of my favorite pictures...







Win or lose.
Rain or shine.
My boys.
My team.
My Rangers.
I love this game!


No comments:

Post a Comment